Finding ways to fit more physical activity into your day can help to reduce stress. It is about more than just looking good, and is a simple way to feel better. Even if you can’t make it to the gym, there are things you can do to fit more activity into your day.
- We all lead busy lives, but most of us can probably find 10 or 15 minutes in our day to go for a brisk walk around the block.
- Walking your dog counts as physical activity and it is as good for them as it is for you.
- Park a little farther away or walk between two stops while running errands instead of driving.
- Stand at your desk.
- Turn off the TV! Watching TV is one of the most sedentary and inactive things that you can do.
- Every little bit counts. Making small goals to slowly increase the amount of physical activity you get in a day is a smart formula for success.
For a helpful reference on how much physical activity all the members of your family need in a day, check out the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
Of course, you should consult with your doctor or health care provider to ensure that any diet and exercise program is the right fit for your needs.